NEw In April, 2021 Electronic Cards
For all applications submitted after 4/1/2021, the applicant will need to download and print the Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) from their approval email. E-FID applicant will NOT appear at their Issuing Police Departments to retrieve any firearms licensing documents.”
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS – PLEASE READ
Applicants applying for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards, Replacement ID Cards, Change of Address or Name on ID Cards, or Permits to Purchase Handguns should expect a delay in the processing of their applications at the current time.
These delays are residual effects from the COVID19 closure of IdentoGO Fingerprint Centers (Considered Non-essential businesses) during the Spring months which severely delayed the processing of applications submitted during those months. Also contributing to the delay is a 500% increase in applications (both Statewide and in Edison) since June 1, 2020.
Applicants can help us in the processing of their applications by reading the following information to avoid making errors or omitting a required step that the applicant must take to complete the application process. Errors and omissions by applicants will require extra time to address by our investigators and add additional waiting time before your application is approved. Some errors cannot be corrected by our investigators and will require the applicant having to file a new application, which will add time onto your wait.
Due to the current backlog, it may be weeks before investigators will be able to examine your application. They will contact you and advise you of incorrect or missing information at that time, with the possibility of you having to file a new application to correct the errors.
Applicants are advised that this application is an official government document. Providing incomplete and incorrect information will cause your application to be delayed. Providing false information will result in denial of your application and possible criminal penalties (N.J.S. 2C:39-10c).
Applicants with questions or other concerns can email the Firearms Unit using the form on this page. Due to several hundred applications being submitted in the past several months, and the additional workload placed on our Firearms Unit, we are unable to return phone calls to every applicant inquiring about the status of their application. Emails will be responded to without delay.
Edison Township Police Firearms Investigators cannot change any information on your application with one exception: If you have entered incorrect emails or other information for your references, the police department investigators can correct that information on the FARS site and can then resend the emails to your references. Corrections to email addresses or contact information for references can be sent to the Firearms Unit using the form on this page. Your application confirmation number must be included in the email requesting the corrections.
Application Instructional Video
Please use the below form for all inquiries for the Firearms Unit. Include the Application Confirmation Number that you received from the State of NJ if you have already submitted an application.
Contact the Firearms Unit
Start Your Application
There are three major components to fulfill. All information is listed below.
- Accurately complete your application on the NJ State system. Include 2 references with valid emails. The state will charge you a fee.
- Then, using your NJ State confirmation number, pay the Edison fees online. The link is below.
- New applicants will need to be fingerprinted with IdentoGO. If you’ve previously been fingerprinted for firearms permits, then you can skip this step.
Applicants that have not been fingerprinted for firearms purposes in New Jersey before will need to make an appointment with IdentoGO to get fingerprinted. Information required for a fingerprint appointment is included in the confirmation email. Fingerprint appointments can be scheduled at:
Firearms Registration and Application System (FARS)
*** Please be aware that the NJ State FARS Website/Portal is not administered by the Edison Township Police Department. ***
- To Start: Log on to the FARS website and complete your application:
- The Edison Police Department’s ORI # – NJ0120500
- Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the name, address, phone number and email addresses, of two (2) reputable references. Your references should not family members.
- Your application will not be processed until you have paid for the FID Card/Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJSC 13:54.1.4.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well the best email addresses for you and your references.
PAYMENT REQUIRED PRIOR TO PROCESSING OF APPLICATIONS
Due to COVID19 and our concern for both Police Department Employees and Firearms Applicants we are changing some procedures in the application process.
The primary change is in how applicants will pay for their Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and their Permits to Purchase Handguns. In the past applicants were permitted to pay for their Firearms Documents at the time of pick-up at Police Headquarters. This was done as a courtesy to our applicants as NJ State Police firearms procedures requires payment in advance prior to the application being processed.
Effective immediately we will be complying with the recommended procedure as set forth by the State Police which requires payment for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Permits to Purchase Handguns prior to starting the investigation process.
***You must FIRST click on the green link directly below to make Firearm Identification Card or Permit payment to Edison PD. This is a separate fee than what you will pay directly to the NJSP***
Do not continue unitl payment is made
The NJ State Police has an easy to navigate FARS HELP section located at the following link to answer any questions not addressed on this website:
For additional firearms regulations and procedural information please visit the New Jersey State Police Firearms Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) website.